Friday, June 12, 2009

Romy's Favorite Summer Salad

Being a foodie, I just love all the colors, tastes and smells of summer time. Going to my local farmers markets is truly heaven during this time of year because the season is brimming with a plethora of healthy, yummy, beautiful fruit and vegetable options. Nothing says summer to me more than fresh corn from my local farm stand--sweet, juicy, crunchy and delicious!

I am constantly in search of those easy, yummy, light and summery recipes that 'wow' my guests and include the best of the seasons bounty, and I think of have found it in the recipe below. It is a beautifully colorful salad, easy to make, made with a medley of my favorite mouth watering ingredients--fresh corn, cucumber, and pungent tasty feta cheese. For you oenophiles, I'd pair this salad with a nice crisp Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Gris. This is one of my all time favorite recipes that I have been making for years, and I have graciously decided that my loyal readers would appreciate this treat--so enjoy and let me know what you think.

Summer Corn and Orzo Salad with Cucumber Feta Dressing
Bon Appétit June 2001
Yield: Makes 8 servings

1 3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 8 ounces)
3 large cucumbers (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 one pound box orzo (rice-shaped pasta; also called riso)
4 cups yellow corn kernels (cut from about 4 ears)
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Place 1 cup feta cheese, half of cucumbers, oil and 1 tablespoon water in processor. Process until smooth. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook orzo in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add corn; cook until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite, about 2 minutes longer. Drain pasta and corn. Transfer to large bowl. Add 1/2 cup feta cheese, remaining half of cucumbers and 1/3 cup chives; toss to combine. Mix in dressing. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup feta cheese and 2 tablespoons chives.

No comments:

Post a Comment